Amazon Introduces Kindle DX
As mentioned on Monday, Amazon just released a new, larger Kindle titled the Kindle DX. The DX features a 9.7″ screen that is two and a half times the size of the regular Kindle. The DX is optimized for reading PDFs, newspapers, and magazines. Otherwise it behaves exactly like the regular Kindle.
This is an interesting venture for Amazon. As Melissa’s Kindle DX First Impressions article at PC World points out, the DX is an, “…expensive proposition that will make consumers think hard about buying one. But it is also a highly targeted device that can benefit from this broadening of its scope.”
Here are a few other details about the DX.
- Slim: Just over 1/3 of an inch, as thin as most magazines
- Carry Your Library: Holds up to 3,500 books, periodicals, and documents
- Beautiful Large Display: 9.7″ diagonal e-ink screen reads like real paper; boasts 16 shades of gray for clear text and sharp images
- Auto-Rotating Screen: Display auto-rotates from portrait to landscape as you turn the device so you can view full-width maps, graphs, tables, and Web pages
- Built-In PDF Reader: Native PDF support allows you to carry and read all of your personal and professional documents on the go
- Wireless: 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle DX, anytime, anywhere; no monthly fees, no annual contracts, and no hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots
- Books In Under 60 Seconds: You get free wireless delivery of books in less than 60 seconds; no PC required
- Long Battery Life: Read for days without recharging
- Read-to-Me: With the text-to-speech feature, Kindle DX can read newspapers, magazines, blogs, and books out loud to you, unless the book’s rights holder made the feature unavailable
- Big Selection, Low Prices: Over 275,000 books; New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases are only $9.99, unless marked otherwise
- More Than Books: U.S. and international newspapers including the New York Times and Wall Street Journal, magazines including The New Yorker and Time, plus popular blogs, all auto-delivered wirelessly
Pre-order a Kindle DX
The Kindle DX is scheduled to be released this summer. To reserve your place in line (orders are filled by first-come, first-served), click here to pre-order a Kindle DX today.